Sunday, July 29, 2012

Three Cheese Grilled Pizza

Let me start off by saying the beauty of this post is that you can use whatever you have on hand.  It's not so much a recipe, as it is an idea to work off of.  With that said...the pizza we (my husband  and I) made tonight was the best we have ever made.  Oh, did I mention another beauty of this post is that the husband and I cook this together?  If he's not home, the children and I don't make it.

I love grilled pizza night for many reasons.  It means the man is home, and while I always joke about loving my own space when he travels, I do miss him when he is away.  Quite a bit.  Just a little.  The second reason is because I can open up my fridge and see what I have and what needs to be used.  This is perfect for using up a little of this and a little of that.  The third reason is that the man and I most often times work in sync for this meal.  It's the little things that I can appreciate.  ☺ Another reason is that I won't get take out pizza this good or this fresh here.  Don't get me wrong, we have a few really great pizza joints, and I am not afraid of ordering from them.  They just aren't as good as what can come off of our grill.  There.  I said it.  Now go try this!

Here's What You Need...for what we made tonight:
  • Pizza Dough, make it yourself or buy it
  • Sauce, My version or a good jarred version are fine
  • Mozzarella, grated
  • Parmesan, shaved with a vegetable peeler 
  • Ricotta, the homemade version I do or a store bought version are fine
  • Onions, caramelized
  • Mushrooms, sauteed
  • Red Pepper Flakes
  • Basil, torn
There are a few tricks that The Husband has perfected with this whole process.  Take your dough out and let it sit on the counter for at least an hour, it will make it easier to stretch and work with.  Get your grill screaming hot.  Last, cook one side first and then put the toppings on that cooked side.  Yes.  Just continue reading.

My part in this whole process is to have all the toppings prepared.  That means I see what will work from the fridge, chop them and then cook them.  All toppings should be cooked because they aren't on the grill long enough to cook through.  I also am the one that gets the "pizza topping buffet" set up.  I clear off everything from our island and set the toppings out in bowls.  When we have company over and make these it is always inevitability a huge hit and it's easy for the children to make their own (which is the best part don't you know?).  The ricotta that I make is from Jennifer Perrilo on Food 52.  It is so completely wonderful, delicious and incredibly easy.  Did I mention delicious?

So once your grill is squawking and your dough is stretched out, oil both sides and throw it on the grates, then shut the hood.  Don't go anywhere because it will take about 90 seconds to 2 minutes to cook on this first side.  Once the first side is done take it off the grill and bring it to the topping bar.  

You want to top the side that has been cooked!  The raw side should be on the bottom.  For this pizza I put sauce first then red pepper flakes, ricotta, mushrooms, onions, Mozzarella, Parmesan and finally basil. 

 Once all the toppings are on, then the pizza goes back on the grill and the gas gets turned to low...put the hood down immediately.  This second turn on the grill will take a little bit more time than the first,  about 2-3 minutes.  Don't go anywhere and check it after 2 minutes so it doesn't burn.  What you are trying to accomplish here is cooking the dough and melting the cheeses.  Our pizza's usually turn out large so we take them off the grill with cookie sheets or cutting boards.

Once they come off the grill let them sit for a minute or two to cool.  If you try cutting into the pizza with the smoldering cheese it will just pool into the middle.  Let it set up and try to be as patient as you possibly can...not an easy feat for me.

A simple salad with this makes everyone happy but I have to admit, tonight it was just pizza...and a vodka tonic each for The Husband and I ❤
Bon Appetit...it's time to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment